Monday, June 28, 2010

Desert Flower (Book) & An eventful day


I finished reading this book in the wee hour of Sunday morning. Saturday after lesson I met Huijun for dinner @ Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel. We went for the international buffet.

We are their “first” customer, as the buffet start at 6.30 but we reach there at 6pm. The buffet was sumptuous. There’s a lot of cuisine to choose from.

We stayed till 12am. It was a nice to eat & indulge in the atmosphere without worrying about food and drink. When it was time to foot the bill, I was shocked to see that the buffet costs $64.25 per person, and we are not entitled to any discount. We do not have any AMEX or M Hotel membership card.

Sadly, I passed my card to the manager. Suddenly, he came back and told us he’s giving us 50% membership discount but we have to pay cash as the membership’s name and my credit card name won’t tally.

We’re abit confused by the sudden turn of event, and asked him for more details. Apparently the manager gave us member’s discount out of goodwill. The membership fee costs $300, and we are grateful to the manager for his generosity. Huijun and I are contemplating whether to apply for the membership since we love eating buffet.

I was in total good mood when I reached home that I’ve difficulty falling asleep. Thus I decided to finish my book where I left off few days ago.

The book was about the transformation of this Somali model, named Waris Dirie. She’s from a nomad family in Africa. The hardships she experienced as a child just dwell on me that I’ve a blessed childhood.

At a tender age, she already tending to camels & cows and helping her mother to look after younger siblings. I’m definitely unable to do all these when I’m her age.

She also detailed the agony of female genital mutilation. It was horrid whenever I visualize the scene, and she’s only 5 years old back then.

In their culture, girls undergo circumcision is like entering womanhood, and considered “clean”, more “market value”. After the circumcision, urinating & later menstruating became a torture for her. The gypsy woman sewed “it” way too tight, till the “water” can only flow 1 drop at a time. It was later when she started becoming a model then she had a surgery to rectify the pain.

At the age of 13, her father had arranged a marriage for her to a much older man. She fled the arrangement. During the fleeing process, she almost got raped and had a few brushes with death encounter. She went to her sister, then from relatives to relatives seeking shelter and worked for them. Once she overheard her auntie’s conversation, and pleaded earnestly to allow her to work as a maid in London for one of her auntie.

She got her wish granted, and she went there. Throughout she worked as a slave for her auntie, till one day her uncle position as ambassador has ended and they are all going back to Somali, and she refused. Using her wits, she finally stayed in London alone. To survive, she started working as cleaner in MacDonald.

Later she was discovered by a renowned photographer, and as they say the rest is history. Gradually she embarked on her journey to become a supermodel. On the peak of her career, she quit to devout full time to charity work, especially in the area of female genital mutilation…..

It was a nice book worth reading. I just couldn’t put it down. While I’m enjoying my book, a guy sent a message to me. I was shocked when I read the content, it was very offensive and disrespect. We aren’t that close, more like acquaintances than friends, I find his message very rude.

I ignored him and guess what he message me again yesterday morning to apologize for his message. I told him off and asked him to show some respect to gal. I start to be very cautious of guys. They seems to have a motive… It's demoralising whenever I encounter this type of incident….

No comments: